Wednesday 17 November 2021

Install Synology Desktop Utilities on non-Debian Systems

Update: I have made a newer version of this post, including a Flatpak solution

For Linux Desktop users with a Synology NAS, it is nice to use their Deskop Tooling. Unfortunately, Synology abandoned Support for .rpm based systems and only supports Debian's .deb format. Now these tools are not a must-use. Note Station can be used via the web front end and syncing could be done with any native Linux solution that you like. But if you want the ease of their tools, here is a possible solution.

I have done this on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, but this should work on any other .rpm based system.

1. The easy way: Synology Drive Client

Alien is your friend, so get any of the alien packages from software.opensuse.org, download the .deb version of Synology Drive Client, use alien on it and just install the newly created .rpm (in my case synology-drive-7.0.2-12683.x86_64.rpm).

sudo alien -r synology-drive-client-12682.x86_64.deb
sudo zypper in synology-drive-7.0.2-12683.x86_64.rpm

Install it with zypper and you are done

Everything works, it also starts automatically on login.

2. The hard way: Synology Note Station Client

Ideally, the above way should work with any of the Synology Tools. But doing so completely messed up my KDE Plasma environment. Right after the zypper install command, my did not react to any input anymore. After restart, I did not boot to the login screen, but was stuck on a dark grey screen with a mouse pointer. Instead of repairing, I quickly reinstalled Tumbleweed and tried it again. Same problem again, I can reproduce this at will. I did not had the time to fix this, so I reinstalled Tumbleweed again. Here is the workaround that I used:

sudo alien -g synology-note-station-client-2.2.1-553-linux-x64.deb

Again, use alien, but this time use the -g option to just unpack the .rpm to a directory structure.

This gives you a directory structure, that just needs to be copied to the corresponding directories ...

cd synology-drive-client-12682.x86_64
sudo cp -R * /

and that's it.

That works fine, I haven't had any issues until now.